This policy explains how the website handles your data. There’s a very simple approach to privacy here - I don’t want your data.
The site collects as little about you as reasonably possible, while still operating and getting information to help me to improve it. I also avoid letting third parties get access to your data via the site.
With that in mind, there are a few things on the site which do hold some information about you. Here’s a list:
- The servers keep a log of any requests made which result in an error.
- These logs may include the page you visited, the error codes generated, your browser’s user agent, information about the action you were trying to complete, and occasionally your IP address.
- These are erased after 7 days.
- The lawful basis for collecting this information is legitimate interest. The information is used to identify problems with services and potential security threats.
- A third party service, Cloudflare, manages DNS and optimises the website using their global network.
- They hold information which may include but is not limited to IP addresses, system configuration information, and other information about traffic to and from their networks. They collect and use this data to operate, maintain, and improve their services.
- Anonymous analytics information is collected to improve the website and for troubleshooting. This data is stored on my own systems — not a third party tracking service.
- There’s no personally-identifiable information or cookies — the data can’t be traced back to you.
- The data stored includes:
- Part of your IP address, from which is guessed from a very approximate location,
- The dates and times you make requests to the services,
- Details about the pages you visit on the site, including URLs, titles, and if you download any files or click a link to another website,
- Your screen resolution,
- How long it takes for the page to be made by the server and then sent to your computer,
- The user agent of your browser - from this, we detect your browser, operating system, device used (desktop, tablet, mobile, TV, cars, console, etc.), brand and model,
- After 1 day, we delete all of this and keep only aggregate information: for example, “500 people visited from the UK this week”, or “43% of visitors used an iPhone running Safari to view the website”.
- If you email me, I’ll store whatever you send in that email.
- The lawful basis for this processing is contract.
- Elsewhere on our website, you might see other ways to share personal information with me or third parties. Any opportunities to do this will be clearly labelled, and will explain alongside them at the time how we handle your data.
- Information may be stored in backups after it has been deleted. The lawful basis for this is legitimate interest, as we use the backups for data recovery to ensure the integrity of the system.
The primary servers for this site are in the UK, with encrypted backups in the US. Our third-party DNS and optimisation service uses servers worldwide - it’s part of how they make things faster - so their server logs are also worldwide.
Note that this policy might change from time to time, and you won’t necessarily be notified of the changes unless you check back here periodically.